Connecting Our Care and Our Communities
A lot has changed since the Atchison Hospital was founded in 1912. Over the years, we’ve grown into more than a hospital, and our communities include more than Atchison. We’ve grown from a single-location hospital to a multi-location healthcare system, developing a network of providers and resources that improve access to care for our communities and strengthen the future of healthcare in the Northeast Kansas area.
With this growth comes a new name that connects all our communities and our care—Amberwell Health. Though our hospital is still a hospital, and our clinics are still clinics, this new name provides a sense of unity and consistent excellence across our entire network of care.
Introducing: Amberwell Health
Our beautiful amber waves of grain and Kansas amber—our state gemstone—reflect the warmth and compassion found in the heart of America. It’s what we love about this place we call home.
It’s also this sense of home that has drawn our talented team of healthcare professionals to serve where they can impact entire communities and create life-long relationships through patient-centered care.
Though it’s a new name, we’re old friends.
We’ll continue to serve, we’ll continue to care, and we’ll continue to honor our patients and our communities with an unwavering commitment to compassionate care with clinical excellence.
Say hello to a new day. Say hello to Amberwell Health.
Growing a Healthcare System
Atchison Hospital received a hospital charter in 1912 and the first hospital building was opened in 1914, located at 1301 North 2nd Street in Atchison, Kansas. In 2010, our current state-of-the-art medical campus located at 800 Ravenhill Drive was built, providing a new location for the Atchison Hospital as well as Atchison Internal Medicine and Family Practice, Atchison Family Medicine, and several specialty care clinics.
With the formation of the Amberwell Health system, our Atchison medical campus will offer all care under one name–Amberwell Atchison–and will continue to provide primary care, inpatient care, specialty care, and a full spectrum of healthcare services.
The Family Medical Center of Troy was opened in 1982 as a primary care clinic sponsored by Atchison Hospital. For nearly 40 years, dedicated providers have served the Troy, Kansas community with excellent primary care. This care will continue at the same location, with the new name of Amberwell Troy Clinic.
In February of 2020, Atchison Hospital opened a clinic in Leavenworth to offer orthopedic care, general surgery, and occupational health services for the Leavenworth community, who had recently lost many medical services with the restructuring of both of their local hospitals. In June of 2020, Atchison Hospital reopened the primary care clinic in Horton, returning medical services to the community after their local hospital was closed the year prior.
The openings of these two new clinics further highlighted the need for a unified name for all the locations of care served by Atchison Hospital, especially those located outside of Atchison. According to surveys of both communities and employees, the name ‘Atchison Hospital’ was not relevant when referring to clinics or locations outside of Atchison and the varying brands of service lines did not connect all of our sites and service lines as one organization.
The nine-month rebranding project to develop a system name included seven market surveys to help understand the needs and preferences of patients and communities. With amber being the Kansas state gemstone, amber waves of grain being so iconic for the Midwest, and improving the health and wellness of area communities being the vision of the organization, Amberwell Health was chosen as the name that represents both the healthcare organization and the region served.
- The Atchison Hospital campus–which includes hospital care, clinic care, and other healthcare services–will be called “Amberwell Atchison”.
- The clinics in Horton, Leavenworth, and Troy will be called “Amberwell Horton Clinic”, “Amberwell Leavenworth Clinic”, and “Amberwell Troy Clinic”, respectively.
- Wilkinson Orthopedics will be called “Amberwell Orthopedic Care”, providing a full spectrum of orthopedic care.
- Business health services previously provided under the Advanced Health Services brand will be provided through Occupational Health Services.
- Sports medicine services previously offered under the Advanced Health Services brand will be continued through Amberwell Orthopedic Care.
- Atchison Hospital Home Health & Hospice will be called “Amberwell Health at Home” and will continue to provide home health services and hospice care wherever the patient calls home.
- The primary care providers of Atchison Internal Medicine and Family Practice and Atchison Family Medicine will now provide care as Amberwell Primary Care providers at Amberwell Atchison.