Deciding between Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans can be difficult. Yet, it’s one of the most important decisions you’ll make because it affects your health, your finances, and your peace of mind. We want to help you to consider and understand the fine print and review your options carefully before making this important decision. Don’t wait until you need rehabilitation services or have to travel to an unfamiliar provider to find out there is a better plan for you.
Things to consider before purchasing a plan:
• Am I purchasing a supplement plan or a replacement plan? If you’re looking for a plan to supplement your Original Medicare, make sure you are not enrolling in a replacement plan. Medicare Advantage plans replace your Original Medicare.
• Are there restrictions on where I can receive healthcare? Make sure the local healthcare providers you know and trust are in the network you’re considering and that you have the freedom to receive healthcare where you choose. Medicare Advantage plans have more restrictions about where you can receive care and services than Original Medicare.
• What will my out-of-pocket expenses be for additional benefits like dental, vision, and hearing coverage? Although Medicare Advantage plans often have very low monthly premiums, they also may come with higher copays, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket costs you’ll have to pay.
• Are rehab and short-term recovery services included? Make sure to know what will happen on your plan if you become ill, need surgery, or get into an accident and need rehab or short-term recovery services.
• Is home health covered? Find out if you'll be covered for home health in case you suffer an injury or illness and are unable to leave your home for care.
Our Health Benefits Navigator Is Here to Help
Medicare Open Enrollment is October 15th through December 7th. The health benefits navigator at Amberwell can help you understand the differences between Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans and help you choose the plan that is best suited to your personalized needs. This service is free and available to all community members, whether you’re a patient at Amberwell or not.
To set up a free appointment, please call 913-367-2650 between 8am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, or complete a meeting request form online at amberwellhealth.org/medicare-help.