Medicare pays for many preventive services on an annual basis, and taking advantage of your covered benefits is an excellent way to stay in good health.
The “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit and the yearly Medicare “Wellness” visit are benefits available to Medicare recipients to promote overall health and help prevent diseases.
Unlike a physical exam, The Welcome to Medicare preventive visit and the yearly Medicare Wellness visits are consultative visits to establish a personalized prevention plan for your health and continued wellness.
Welcome to Medicare Preventive Visit
The Welcome to Medicare preventive visit is a one-time, free-of-charge visit available within the first 12 months of enrolling in Medicare.
This preventive visit includes a review of your medical and social history and counseling about preventive services, including recommended screenings, vaccinations, and referrals to other care, as needed.
This visit is covered one time. You do not need to have this visit in order to be covered for yearly Medicare Wellness visits.
Yearly Medicare Wellness Visits
Yearly Medicare Wellness visits are available every 12 months at no cost to you.
During your wellness visit, your provider will have you complete a “Health Risk Assessment.” This health questionnaire will help you and your provider develop or update your personalized prevention plan based on your current health and risk factors.
What to expect during a visit
- Height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurement checks
- Medical and social history review
- Risk assessment for depression and other mental health conditions
- Detection of cognitive impairment
- Education, counseling, and referrals related to your risk factors and other health needs
- A personalized checklist of appropriate preventive services, screenings, and vaccinations