In October of 2020, Atchison Hospital rebranded as Amberwell Atchison and associated clinics in Horton, Leavenworth, and Troy were renamed under the Amberwell brand. This began the development of a rural healthcare system, Amberwell Health, that allows affiliated organizations to take advantage of the positive aspects of a collaborative healthcare system while staying true to the vital role they play in their local communities.
In January of 2021, primary care providers John Growney, MD and James Growney, PA-C joined Amberwell Health and the clinic was rebranded as Amberwell Eighth Street Clinic.
In March of 2021, Hiawatha Community Hospital affiliated with Amberwell Health, rebranding the Hiawatha campus as Amberwell Hiawatha and the associated clinic in Highland as Amberwell Highland Clinic.
Rural healthcare system Amberwell Health now provides patient care at seven locations in six communities in northeast Kansas and employs over 600 healthcare employees.
In July 1914, the first hospital facility in Atchison was opened and the first patient was admitted. The facility included 14 single rooms, 4 four-bed wards, two complete operating rooms, a sterilization room, a modern laboratory, and one of the finest X-ray rooms in the West.
The hospital building was renovated and expanded several times between 1940 and 1962 and a $2.5 million renovation remodeling program was completed in 1990.
In order to remain a leader in area healthcare, a new, state-of-the-art location at 800 Raven Hill Drive was opened in January, 2010. The core structure of the original hospital building was imploded in August, 2010 and the remaining buildings and land were donated to Benedictine College.
Amberwell Hiawatha, formerly Hiawatha Community Hospital officially opened May 13, 1951. The hospital facility was built through donations from local citizens, and it has continued today as a community-owned facility without any tax subsidies.
In 1961, with an occupancy rate of 95%, the citizens of the community fundraised to add five patient rooms and an elevator.
The Solarium, located on the west end of the main level, was constructed from the funds donated in 1966 by the Middlebrook family.
In 1968 the north wing was added and the three-level east wing addition was added in 1979.
A major renovation was completed in 2000, dedicating the south wing of the hospital being to the outpatient specialty clinic and finishing the lower level of the north wing. A few years later in 2003, the surgery department was renovated.
In 2011, the addition of the Medical Office Building, which is home to the Business Office, Primary Care Clinic, Outpatient Specialty Clinic, Gift Shop, Cardiac Rehab, Physical Therapy and the MRI was completed.