What is COPD?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is an inflammatory lung disease that causes airflow blockage in the lungs and makes normal breathing difficult. Emphysema and chronic bronchitis are among the most common contributors to COPD. People with COPD are at a higher risk of developing other serious conditions like heart disease and lung cancer. COPD is an incurable disease, but with early diagnosis and intervention, people with COPD can improve their quality of life and breathe better.
COPD Management Program at Amberwell Atchison
The COPD Management Program at Amberwell Atchison offers individualized evaluation, treatment, rehabilitation, and education for patients at all stages of COPD. Amberwell Primary Care nurses offer COPD education through one-on-one visits by referral from your primary care provider.
Through this program, you will:
- Complete testing to confirm your COPD diagnosis
- Learn how to recognize worsening of symptoms and develop a plan of action with a COPD nurse
- Learn how to use inhalers and special breathing techniques
- Receive encouragement and support to quit smoking
- Learn self-management skills in sessions with a nurse
- Improve everyday activities with less shortness of breath
- Gain knowledge of COPD and learn how to recognize symptoms and avoid triggers
- Receive guidance about medications—how often to take them and how much
Causes of COPD
COPD is the sixth leading cause of death In the United States, and tobacco smoking is the leading cause of COPD. Other contributing factors include exposure to air pollutants like chemical fumes or dust at home or at work, secondhand smoke, respiratory infections, asthma, being at least forty years old, and genetics.
Symptoms of COPD include:
- Chronic cough, either dry or producing a lot of mucus
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty taking deep breaths
- Tightness in the chest
For More Information
If our COPD Program can help you, discuss it with your primary care provider. A referral from an Amberwell Primary Care provider is needed to schedule an appointment for this program.
COPD Management Program Team at Amberwell Atchison
Crystal Irwin, MHS, RRT
COPD Educator–Director of Cardiopulmonary
Maggie Porter, BSN, RN
Chronic Disease Manager
Desaray Wilson, BSN, RN
Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation Nurse