What is Swing Bed?
Swing Bed is a Medicare program that allows patients to receive skilled care services at Amberwell Atchison once acute hospital care is no longer required.
The term “swing bed” is used to describe when physicians may “swing” patients from one level of care to another while staying in the same facility. These patients may continue to need services that cannot be easily provided in the patient’s home.
We design our program around each individual’s needs to help them reach their highest potential for health and independence prior to returning home.
Who is eligible?
Swing bed is available to patients who have been hospitalized at Amberwell Atchison or at other facilities outside of the Atchison area. Participation in Medicare Part A or other qualified insurance plan is also a requirement for the swing bed program.
- A consecutive, 3-day, acute care stay within 30 days of admission to swing bed
- Stable medical status and physician authorization
- Daily skilled care need (or five days per week for rehab)
What services are included?
The program is ideal for patients who require:
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapies which aid in a safe return home or to other living arrangements
- Specialized wound care
- IV therapy
- Orthopedic rehabilitation following any surgery
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Generalized weakness due to CHF (Congestive Heart Failure), COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), pneumonia, and other chronic conditions
What should I expect from the swing bed program?
- Increase your independence in self-care (getting dressed, grooming, bathing, toileting, etc.)
- Actively participate in therapy sessions
- Walk or move with nursing staff
- Sit in a chair for all meals
- Gradually spend more time out of bed and doing what you would usually do at home
- Participate in individualized daily activities
Your Care Team
- Social Services
- Case Manager
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist*
- Nursing Team
- Respiratory Therapist*
SWING BED COORDINATOR
Morgan Kane, PTA, WCC
CASE MANAGER/UTILIZATION REVIEW
Cheryl Vanwey, BSN
Aggie Asher, LSCSW